Lewis Harrison is a talented and dynamic speaker with knowledge and a passion for creative arts, game theory, human potential and personal development. A humorous, motivating and inspiring educator he is the host of the radio show “Ask Lewis” and “That Was, Zen, This is Tao” on NPR (National Public Radio) affiliated WIOX FM.
Lewis and his wife Lilia (an investigative reporter on the show) have traveled throughout the world for over twenty years and can present destination lecturers, related to the ship’s itinerary. They are noted for their enrichment and special interest lectures and are able to talk about virtually anything else the cruise line thinks the passengers will find interesting. Lewis and Lilia can speak about a region’s recent and ancient history, politics, arts, culture, geography, and even its wildlife and food.
Lilia and I dropped into the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii
As skilled enrichment lecturers Lewis and Lilia cover uncounted subjects – strategizing and game theory is a hot topic these days, thanks to the popularity of movies like a “Beautiful Mind” and television shows like “CSI”, the “Mentalist” and other crime dramas. Applicable to teenage video gamers as well as guests who spend time in the ship’s casino Lewis’ presentations on game theory and sports strategy are perennial favorites.
Here is an interview with Lewis Harrison speaking about the practical applications of game theory.
Lewis and Lilia also offer popular presentations on the creative arts (such as music, film, literature, photography, TV, and theater). Lewis is not just a best-selling author, he is a master storyteller as well and almost any topic he is asked to speak on can grab the attention of a cruise passenger for an hour — in short, a range that is intriguing and, at times, even bewildering.
Here are a few of Lewis 18 published books
Lewis and Lillia have a passion for their subject matter and have an ability to communicate in an entertaining, animated, and enthusiastic fashion. They have an expertise, and they also have to have the presentation skills to make the information they present fun, entertaining and interesting in a number of areas including:
- Author/Writer related subject
- Business, Management & Entrepreneurship
- Creative Writing
- Destination and Port Lecturing
- Diplomacy and International Affairs
- Education and Learning
- Food and Nutrition
- Life Coaching and Personal Development
- Mind and Body
- Motivation and Inspiration
- Performance Poetry and Story Telling
- Politics and Current Events
- Travel and Destinations
…Lewis and Lilia also have a passion for After Dinner Speaking
Lewis has over forty years of extensive experience speaking in front of groups and is the Past-President of the New York Chapter of the National Speakers Association (NSA) the premier professional speakers’ organization in the United States.
Here are more Hi-lites of Lewis’ career as a professional speaker:.
- Lewis Harrison is a futurist, collage artist, a practical philosopher, poet, and world traveler.
- He is the international best-selling author of 18 books on Aging, Stress Management, Applied Game Theory, Longevity, Personal Finance, Asian History, Philosophy and Healthy Living.
- Past president of the Tri-state NY Chapter of the National Speaker’s Association
- Past chairperson of NSA’s “Wellness PEG” – Professional Experts group.
- Offered numerous and varied programs for over two decades on travel, and world affairs, multiculturalism, the arts, wellness, and personal finance for The Learning Annex; a New York City Based pioneering adult education organization.
- Listed in “Who’s Who in Service to the World”
In recent years Lewis has cut back on his corporate speaking and public seminars so that he may spend more of his time writing, traveling, focusing on his radio show and doing charitable work.
This schedule allows him to be available for cruise line speaking opportunities with as little as 48 hours notice.
Lewis offers three types of presentations which can be customized to meet the requests of the cruise director or the cruise line:
- Destination presentations – These presentations include details of the ports of call including areas of local interest.
- Special Interest Destination Presentations – These presentations include history of the destination, celebrities, important historical figures.
- Special Interest Presentations –
- Something specific that might be appealing to a cruising demographic.
Below are links to two YouTube videos of Lewis
The first is a Q & A session with a reporter for ABC news as part of a documentary on his work.
- The second is an entertaining and intentionally humorous, absurd, and silly promotional video for his information based Travel NPR (National Public Radio) affiliated show “What’s Up? –Ask Lewis”.
Lilia Harrison, Lewis’ wife (and the love of his life) is an investigative reporter with a background in international affairs. Lilia has a gentle laid back speaking style, has lived all over the world and has been a world traveler for over 40 years. She is of Asian birth, speaks 3 languages, and is a Canadian citizen. A former banking executive, she has a strong background in finance and world affairs and has a passion and well-rounded knowledge of European history.
Lewis and Lilia greatly enjoy mingling with guests and are masters of “rapport”. They have a vast array of experience working in high demand situations.
Lewis and Lilia:
- Have been invited to and attended meetings of the Council on Foreign Relations
- In 1999 Lewis spoke about nuclear proliferation to the combined U.N. delegations of India and Pakistan for an episode of Michael Moore’s BBC and Bravo Network Television Show “The Awful Truth”
- From 2005 – 2007 Lewis coordinated V.I.P. services in over ten cities for the “Learning Annex Real Estate and Wealth Expositions”; working with Tony Robbins, George Forman, Magic Johnson, “Rich Dad, Poor Dad’s” Robert Kyosaki, Alan Greenspan former head of the Federal Reserve Bank and others.
Concerning these Wealth Expos – Time Magazine stated:
“…Learning Annex puts a fresh face on adult education.”
Programs Lewis has offered to private groups on various cruises over three decades include:
- Program #1: World Affairs: Trends in Inspired Political Leadership
- Program #2: World Affairs: Connecting the Dots?
- Program # 3: World Affairs: Game Theory and the “Fake”
News of the Day
- Program #4: Art and Spiritual Traditions: Sacred Tools
- Program # 5: Customized Wellness Talks
- Program #6: Port of Call:
- Program #7: For the Love of Film
….Of course, Lewis can create many other customized programs as well. Just ask him about it.
Here are 7 short descriptions of sample talks Lewis offers. He can also customize presentations as needed.
Program #1 – World Affairs: Trends in Inspired Political Leadership
Great leaders have the ability to use various tools of influence to enlist the aid and the support of others in the accomplishment of a common task. A leader is not simply someone that others follow, or who guides or directs others.
Great leaders can:
- organize a group of people to achieve a common goal.
- bring out the greatness in others.
- guide others in becoming great leaders.
- have a physical and psychological tool chest of tips, and strategies for transcending obstacles and challenges.
- inspire and motivate the team members and the citizenry – guiding them to maximize collective intelligence, and delegate the right jobs to the right people.
The path to becoming a great leader has radically shifted in the last decade.
In this talk, Lewis offers attendees examples of great leadership. He describes how great world leaders used behavioral science, positive psychology, motivational and inspirational tools, and intuition to better society. By doing so they created, built, sustained and expanded the leadership potential in others; including their adversaries.
Program #2 World Affairs– Connecting the Dots?
In 1949 George Orwell’s futuristic masterpiece “1984” was published. “1984” has become a guidebook for many who are attempting to understand trends in globalization and international relations. There are many points of view concerning the new “alternative realities” in world affairs. Some are based on guesswork while others are derived from solid research, Using a non-controversial politically neutral perspective, with a bit of the Game Theory approach that is described in the Academy Award-winning movie, “A Beautiful Mind”, Lewis explores current affairs in Asia, Europe, Latin America, and Africa. In this thought-provoking and often humorous program, Lewis brings his futuristic, comedic, and “gamification” skills to explore many of the most common and unconventional theories; including the unconventional ones from the past that turned out to be true!
Lewis is not concerned with debunking any particular theory; but rather, brings easy to apply critical thinking tools, and invites his audience to use them in exploring how different theories develop, and by connecting the dots, become part of our common historical narrative.
Program #3 – World Affairs: Game Theory and the News of the Day
In this talk, Lewis turns the pages of any news magazine or newspaper and explores the back story behind the written story.
No matter what we do in life we must strategize to get the greatest benefit at the lowest cost. Gamification and game theory are two approaches to this goal that have had tremendous success in all levels of society. Game theory was the subject of the Academy Award-winning film, “A Beautiful Mind”, and the problem-solving television show, “Num3ers”. In this lecture, Lewis describes concepts (systems) that were created to explain why and how individuals and organizations including government strategize, i.e. make decisions when one person (or more people) might also affect the outcome of the decision.
Lewis studied the original concept of game theory, tweaked it a bit, and applied it to other disciplines to create an approach that any person can easily apply to see what may be happening between the lines of the daily news reports.
The Greek philosopher Socrates stated that “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Any person who is interested in understanding current world affairs and the influence of “Fake News” will delight in this interactive talk.
Program #4: Art, Mythology, and Spiritual Traditions: Sacred Tools for Modern Times
Using his background in Philosophy, his writings on comparative religion and his role as the founder of the Catskills Art and Culture Festival, Lewis offers a non-denominational, and non-religious approaches to exploring the role of faith in the creation of spiritually motivated and inspiring art.
Through this informative and often humorous presentation, Lewis offers inspiring multi-cultural tips, tools, and strategies to create a fulfilling spiritual experience no matter what one’s religious faith may be.
Included in the talk are:
- Three simple things you can do to increase your sense of spirituality.
- How to create a community of “spirit” through the arts.
- How to create a sense of the “sacred” through the creation and experience of art.
Program #5 – Customized Wellness Talks
In our lives, Wellness becomes an active process through which each of us becomes aware of and makes choices toward, an existence in which we can maximize our mental, emotional and physical potential.
In his customized Wellness talks, Lewis uses a holistic model to explain various approaches to wellness.
Program #6: Port of Call:
Based on the extensively well-researched travel segments of Lewis’ NPR radio show he describes and ranks popular landmarks and sights in order of importance and includes suggestions on how to travel specific areas on a budget.
Program #7: For the Love of Film:
Lewis is a past member of the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures and he and his wife Lilia have viewed thousands of foreign and historically based films over the last eighteen years.
In this fun and entertaining talk, Lewis and Lilia discuss aspects of the filmmaking process. When relevant they will discuss different films that may have been “shot” in locals related to a specific cruise.
A Recommendation from Jack Canfield, the internationally acclaimed speaker and the co-author of the “Chicken Soup for the Soul” series of books– ( which have more than 250 titles, with over 500 million copies in print in over 40 languages). This is what Jack had to say about Lewis’ speaking abilities:
“…presents a well organized step-by-step program. Following this program may have an immediate impact on your mental and physical health, and lead you to the threshold of a greatly improved quality of life. Harrison shows you how…..I recommend this man to anyone who wants less stress and more energy..”
When you require gifted and entertaining “destination” and “enrichment” speakers on your cruise Lewis and Lilia Harrison offer the “gold standard” for warmth, rapport with guests, strong customer service skills and generosity of spirit.
The Harrison’s offer information-rich, inspiring, motivating and fun presentations and have been doing so for over 30 years
Lewis and Lilia Harrison look forward to becoming part of your cruise line’s family of lecturers and presenters.
Contact Lewis and Lewis and Lilia Harrison at 212-724-8782
Here is a short photo gallery of people and places we have experienced in the last 2 years
At a Buddhist Monastery in Bangkok, Thailand
Crossing a makeshift log bridge in the Philippine Jungle
The farther North you go the colder it gets. Here I am in the Swiss Alps it is 20 below F. Look at the needle on the Thermometer (Minus 20 degrees).
Taking my “pet” Carabao for a walk, East Samar, Philippine
With my mentor 98-year-old mathematician Harvey Slatin, 2011. Dr. Slatin was part of the research team at Los Alamos – The Manhattan Project. He was a pioneer in game theory (which has won over 13 Noble Prizes) and he helped me create my talk on “Gamification and Quantum Thinking”
Hiking In the mountains of Northern Turkey
With the great Tony Award-winning author, actor, monologist and storyteller Spaulding Gray
To have Lewis and Lilia Harrison speak on one or more of your cruises contact them and at 212-724-8782 or by email at LewisCoaches@gmail.com